When you call HSAA, your call is received by staff in the Members’ Resource Centre (MRC). To provide the best service and direct your call appropriately, we will ask you for the following information:
- Employer/Site/Work Location
- Contact information
- Purpose of the call (i.e. query or complaint)
- Have you spoken with your Steward?
- If you are making a complaint, we will need a brief description of the issue.
- What happened?
- When did it happen?
- Who is involved?
- Where did this happen?
- Why is there a concern/issue?
- How did this event happen (if applicable)?
- Have you reviewed your collective agreement?
- Are there any important deadlines to consider?
- What outcome are you seeking?
If your question cannot be addressed by MRC staff, you will be referred to the Labour Relations Officer (LRO) for your area. Often, because of the nature of our work and the number of members we serve, your LRO will not be immediately available. If there is an imminent deadline of other reason for your urgency, you will be transferred to an alternate LRO for assistance.
Your LRO will return your call within three (3) business days and:
- Review the information taken during your initial call
- Ask you additional questions
- Offer advice on resolving your issue
- Provide honest feedback and advise you if there is merit to file a grievance
- File the grievance (if needed) and support you through that process
- Discuss alternatives to resolve the complaint with your employer if the matter is not a violation of the agreement.
- Provide timely responses to your emails and phone calls as well as regular updates on the progress of your case.