HSAA represents approximately 29,000 paramedical technical, paramedical professional and general support employees in more than 240 disciplines. We are one of the fastest-growing unions in Alberta; as such, we are always looking for talented individuals to add to our ever-expanding team. If you have a passion for supporting those who ensure our province stays healthy, check out the positions available below!
Human Resources Advisor (1 Full Time, Permanent)
Deadline for applications: Open until suitable candidate found
The Health Sciences Association of Alberta (HSAA) is a progressive union representing approximately 29,000 paramedical, professional, and technical members. Our staff are committed to delivering high-quality services to our members. HSAA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We are looking for a full-time permanent Human Resources (HR) Advisor who will work out of the Edmonton office and report to the Director, Human Resources.
This out-of-scope position requires a well-rounded generalist who will support a wide range of HR functions aligned with HSAA’s strategic and operational goals and objectives. The primary focus of the HR Advisor is to support our leaders in achieving operational excellence by providing them with the necessary HR information, tools and supports. This position will provide employee relations support to management through investigation of issues, development of solutions and assistance in the formal grievance process.
You will succeed in this role if you are a strategic thinker who is able to instill confidence and serve as a valued business partner. You will have a proven ability to move initiatives forward, achieve tangible results and accommodate changing priorities. Equipped with experience and sound judgment, you will make effective recommendations and support the resolution of sensitive HR matters while maintaining confidentiality. You will have sound knowledge of relevant government policies, legislation, and regulations, as well as familiarity with union collective agreements and contract provisions. Your ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, unions, management, and external contacts is essential. Your ability to provide HR/labour relations advice, administration, and interpretation of collective agreements is critical.
What You Bring
The successful candidate for this role will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in human resources or a related field with a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible human resource experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated HR generalist experience in employee relations, performance management, leave management, recruitment, benefits administration, classification, and exit management.
- Experience in providing HR and ER support in an unionized environment.
- Demonstrated experience in the research, development, implementation and maintenance of HR strategies, programs, policies, and processes.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to translate and simplify complex concepts into easy-to-understand and consumable forms.
- Ability to balance conflicting priorities to manage workflow, ensure completion of essential projects, and meet deadlines.
- Strong creative thinking skills with the ability to work independently and in a team-based environment.
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated accuracy and attention to detail.
- Must be able to handle confidential information with discretion and sensitivity.
- Intermediate to advanced skills in the Microsoft Office suite of programs, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams.
Your Core Competencies
- Creative Problem Solving: You contribute ideas for how the work can be done differently to solve issues.
- Agility: You anticipate and adapt to changing priorities. You are resilient in times of uncertainty.
- Develop Networks: You build connections and trust in relationships.
- Build Collaboration: You contribute to conditions that support teamwork, collaboration, consistency, and excellence.
- Systems Thinking: You understand how the work you do contributes to the overall success of the organization.
- Drive for Results: You take ownership of achieving results as an individual and as part of a team.
What We Offer
|Competitive Compensation:||Commensurate with experience|
|Top Benefits:||100% employer-paid benefits, Flexible Spending Account, and pension plan|
|Work-Life Balance:||35-hour work week|
|Learning & Development:||Internal and external training support|
Information For Applicants
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email to Human Resources at email@example.com. In your cover letter, please tell us how your skills and experience align with this position. Applications may be used to fill other current and future opportunities.
HSAA has implemented a proof of COVID 19 vaccination policy for all employees, to protect the health and safety of HSAA employees and members we serve. Any candidate in the process of applying for employment with the Health Sciences Association of Alberta, must be able to comply with one of the following:
- Proof of COVID 19 vaccination; OR,
- If unable to be immunized, proof of protected ground or valid medical reason.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those shortlisted for the position will be contacted.